Friday, October 3, 2014

Blog Assignment #7

How Do We All Become Learners?

Being my first time using project based learning, I feel as though I still have a lot to learn. However, I look forward to it! In order to get ready for my future, I have many things left to learn and do. I think to ensure I am the best I can be for my students, my skills with technology do need to advance. Technology can be very useful in the classroom so it should be taken advantage of. Just in this class I have seen people using PLN's for philanthropy work, making movies for books, and helping younger students around the world get more involved in blogging. I believe it is a great way to expand our knowledge and capabilities in or out of the classroom. I want for my students to get as much as possible from my class. to make this happen, I have to keep practicing using search engines, blogger, iMovie, etc.
Audio QR Codes This video amazed me! I really like that teachers can record their voices reading a book or saying something and parents have access to it at all times. I believe this would be very useful especially for children that maybe need help with reading or even a foreign language class. I have seen the QR codes during my observation hours, but never seen how they were made. I hope to take advantage of this in my future class room.
iPad Centers
This idea for a center is great for helping children with reading. The students are able to see and hear themselves read certain passages or stories, allowing them to critique themselves. By recording a video they are able to watch it as many times as they would like and or re record in order to fix any mistakes. This will help students learn to self evaluate as well.
Board Builders 1 Board Builders 2 Board Builders 3 Board Builders can be used at a very young age. These videos were students as young as first grade presenting their board builder. It was nice to see such young people so proud of their hard work and really interested in what they were talking about. The young girl in the first video was very helpful in showing us how to search for things and what certain links were. Her project on the moon included a narrative essay about her trip to the moon. The other two videos were two presentations of 2nd grade groups. The two groups built boards on animals, with one being a used to help raise money for a charity. The students were very well spoken in the videos, and very excited about their projects. Great job!
Kindergarten uses iMovie and AVL
Dr. Strange, Elizabeth Davis, and Michele Bennett from Gulf Shores Elementary and Daphne discuss the use of iMovie and Alabama Virtual Library by kindergarten students. Five year old children are taking strides in technology, that I struggle with on a daily basis. It was eye opening and educating to watch. The teachers discussed the children's excitement to learn, and do things on their own. The Alabama Virtual Library allows them to search for anything and have pictures, stories, or resources about that topic, on a kindergarten level. It is easy enough for them to learn, but resourceful enough to keep them going. It is awesome to see such young minds growing in such a positive way. The teachers said that when the kids see a mistake they immediately want to fix it, that's inspiring. I hope to keep these videos in mind when I am struggling with my projects coming up.
We All Become Learners
Dr. Strange, Elizabeth, and Michele discuss us all being learners. Michele speaks about how using technology with students helps change the dynamics in the classroom. She says that because students and teachers are using some of the same resources, now the students can help teachers when they get stuck on something. She said it is amazing to see how helpful these children can be when you give them the opportunity. I am excited, and hope to see all of these improvements in my future classroom.
Confucius quote: Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I will understand

2 comments: