Sunday, September 14, 2014

Using Multiple Search Engines

I always say, "Google is my best friend!". Any time I get on the internet, whether it be by phone, desktop, or Ipad, Google is the first site pop up. Sometimes even if I know the site I need to go to I type "Google.com" first, out of habit. As an assignment we were required to look up and test 8 other search engines. The first being "Wolframalpha.com". After only 5 minutes, I was hooked. It is so convenient! The organization is immaculate, and the information is extremely thorough and specific. However, I do feel as though it is more of a biographical research type of site instead of a general search engine site, such as Google.
My other sites I found by looking up "Search engines for beginners" because although I use technology quite often, I do not feel as though I have it even close to figured out yet.
Site #2: From a list for beginners I found, "Dogpile.com". This search engine is very similar to Google. It has all of the same options such as images, videos, shopping, etc. It gave results in a timely manner and they were well organized.
Site #3: "AskJeeves.com", I used nearly every day as a child. I was introduced to this search engine in 2nd grade and used it especially for my TAG class. This site is also very similar to Google in that you can specify your search with image, news, videos, etc. However the layout seems to be easier to read, a reason my teacher chose for us to use it.
Site #4: "Bing", is a very well known search engine. This search engine is quick and gives many specific links for the topic searched. It would seem to be very useful for Microsoft users.
Site #5:, "Yippy.com", is especially good for academic searches or government related topics. Search time was efficient, and the pop ups were limited.
Site #6: "Webopedia.com", is a great search engine for technology related topics. It is a resource site for encyclopedic information on technology and computers. Great for non-technological people!
Site #7: "Archive.org" is good for going back to past web posts and websites. This search engine allows us to go back to specific events or times without having to sift through all of the results from Bing or Google. Very well organized, and easy to use after some time.
Site #8: "Mahalo.com" is a site powered by people. This means actual people go through various site of information and research to find the best and most specific results. There are many less results, but they are very specific and well researched. I enjoy this site because it has suggestions in categories for searches. It seems to be very easily understood and used.

Search engines google, dogpile, mahalo, bing, yahoo, duckduckgo, ask, yippy, and webopedia

No comments:

Post a Comment